While the journey of building a new home won't look the same for every buyer or every builder, there is a flow to the process that is a good guidepost to help you know where you are, where you've been, and where you're going when you are getting ready to build.
- Get pre-approved for a home mortgage. This will help you know what you can and can't afford to build.
- Begin to narrow down the community and location you want to live in. Not all builders can build in every neighborhood, so this is a good first step before determining who to build with in most cases. Make sure the neighborhood has the school system, lot sizes, and parks, for example, that you prefer and is in a location that is most advantageous for you.
- Make a wish list of features you want. By evaluating your current home and exploring ideas in our inspiration gallery and even through tours of homes in the area, begin to create a list of "must haves" and "wants" for your next home.
- Select a price range. Based on your pre-approval information, the neighborhoods you're considering, and your wish list, come up with a reasonable range you are willing to spend in purchasing your new home.
- Start to narrow down the choice of builders. Use our mapping feature as a tool to help you begin to narrow down who is able to build in your preferred area(s) for your price. Try to narrow it down to 3-4 builders and begin contacting them to meet and discuss the specifics of what you're looking for. They will propose to you a layout that meets your needs, with the features you've chosen, and give you an estimate of what it will cost.
- Select a builder. Using this list of what to look for in a builder (coming soon!) choose the builder that you feel most comfortable with and best fits your needs. Keep in mind that you will be working closely with this person and their company for anywhere from 6-12 months or more, so when choosing a builder, don't consider only price but also compatibility, their home warranty service, and their years of experience.
- Begin building your new home! Once you have selected your builder and the contract is signed, this is where the real fun begins as you begin to conceptualize and then see your new home being built from the ground up. The building process brings along its own set of choices along the way, but make sure to enjoy the journey knowing that in the end you have found a home that not only fits your budget, but also fulfills your dreams of a new lifestyle and home.